Friday, October 14, 2011

Musical Cribs

I haven't taken a ton of pictures lately, but had a lot of stories I wanted to write down before I forgot them. We have 4 rooms in our house and one of them is downstairs on the bottom level. Preston has been sleeping in our bathroom in a pack n play, so I'm ready to get all the kids into rooms, and have my bathroom and closet back!

We put yet another crib up last night and had Averi sleep in Piper's room with her. They had fun, but stayed up really late and woke up really early. I know it's the first night so I'll give it a couple days and see how it goes. I'll still have Averi nap in a different room but I don't know where yet. Maybe downstairs in the guest bedroom, then just have Preston sleep in Ashers room in Averi's old crib.
The other day when Asher went to school and Preston went down for a nap I threw the girls in the tub and started cleaning Asher's room. I ended up sorting through all the toys and organizing everything. I threw a bunch of old broken toys away. The next day I saw the kids outside playing then realized they found all the old toys. They ended up bringing all the toys in the house and they were spread from one end of the living room then into the kitchen and downstairs. I told Asher to clean them all up and bring them back out to the garbage because they were all junk. He freaked out and was mad. A few seconds later I saw him just staring at me on the verge of tears, and then he just yelled, "YOU HATE TOYS!" Then he just started crying. It was sad, so I let him gather them up and put them in a box in the garage. And if he did good listening he could have them. If he didn't do good they'd go back in the garbage. Needless to say almost all of them are thrown away. Listening is just such a battle all the time! Sometimes he does so well, and other days you'd think he really can't hear me.


I've been slowly potty training the girls. I thought Piper would be potty trained quickly and Averi would on her own time. It's actually been the exact opposite. Averi is completely potty trained and Piper sometimes is and sometimes isn't. Averi's so funny because she thinks that there is an actual potty train, and one day she'll get to ride that train. It's a confusing term for a kid that wants to ride a train.


A few weeks ago Matt and I went on a date and on the way home I thought it would be fun to talk about our feelings for each other, I'm sure Matt thought that would be super fun too! So I asked him what his favorite thing about me was. He said it was how good of a mom I was. My favorite thing about him was how good of a dad and husband he is. He spends so much time playing with the kids and likes to spend time here at home with us. It's just funny that the things we like the most about each other are things we didn't know about each other when we were dating. I just got really lucky marrying Matt and am so happy that we get to spend so much time together.


It's starting to get cold outside and dark early so I pulled out my bike trainer and have been riding my bike in the family room at night. Matt borrowed Greg's bike trainer to see if he wanted his own. So now at night Matt and I ride our bikes together downstairs in the family room. It's just like having a babysitter and going on a date! :)


I love these pictures of the girls. They're so sweet together and I love the way they talk to each other. They really are each other's best friends. They're so tall, I don't notice how tall they are because they don't spend a lot of time around other kids their age. Now that it's getting cold and I'm buying pants for them it's really apparent how long their little legs are. The other day when Asher got home from school I noticed he had a little slip of paper in his bag that said he had gotten caught being good at school. I go, "Oh cool Asher, what were you doing when you got this?" He said, "Not hitting anyone." I pressed a little more and got absolutely no more information than that. The next day I saw another one in his bag and asked what he was doing when he got that one. His reply was just as flat as yesterdays, "Not pushing anyone down." I go, "Do you normally push people down?" He goes, "Yeah." So I go, "Asher, I can't picture you pushing people down, or hitting them." He goes, "Well, believe it. I do it all the time." I tried asking him other questions to see what was really going on. I asked him about recess and who he played with. He told me that he doesn't play with anyone. He just plays by himself and that no one wants to play with him. (I'm thinking that they would if he wasn't pushing people down) So I was just really confused because what he was telling me just didn't seem like him. He's normally really good with other kids and has lots of friends. So the next day his teacher called to ask me a question, and I asked her if he's having any problems at school or anything. And she goes, "No! He's made friends really fast and is really friendly to everyone. Sometimes he might get a little chatty." And I go, "Oh, so he's never hit anyone or anything right?" And she goes, "Oh no. He plays really well with other kids." So... I guess Asher just likes to tell stories and likes to get a reaction out of me.



He's had so much fun in school, and from what I can tell he's doing well. He's picking up on reading quickly and I've found to just let him tell me about school rather than asking specific questions, I get a lot more truth. When he comes home he's always so anxious to read and do his homework. This is exactly what I hoped his school experience would be like and I hope it continues going this way.


One last little story. We all went to Pizza Pie Cafe last night. Preston, with his little cheeks, was getting a lot of attention from strangers last night. One lady actually sat down by me when the kids were up going to the bathroom (which takes up a healthy portion of every single dinner). She was just gushing over Preston and his cheeks, then told me that her pediatrician told her that babies with chubby cheeks are smarter. Something to do with all the fat in their face and it going to the brain... good enough, I'll buy it! Preston's just turning out to be perfect on every level!

No comments: