Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Summer 2010

I haven't posted for a long time so this is going to be very long! In May I decided that it was time to start running, I couldn't run for very long so one Saturday I ran a couple miles and got home twenty minutes later, it wasn't a long enough work out so I put Asher and Kela, our neighbor, into the trailer and pulled them on a bike ride. It was way fun! I talked to Greg and he said that I should start training for a sprint triathlon. It didn't sound too bad, so he taught me how to swim, and I spent the rest of the summer training.
This picture was taken after the Stansbury Triathlon. I really struggled with the swim, and was so tired for the rest of the race. My time was 1:40. That was my goal, so I was happy with that time. Greg went up with me that morning and I'm so glad he did! He was there when I got out of the water and help me with my wetsuit, then ran up to transition with me and told me I was doing good. As soon as that race ended Greg thought his shin splints were better and could run, so we signed up for the Jordanelle race and started training for that. I get so nervous before a race that I usually get sick. I was really sick for this one and Greg's legs weren't healed yet, so we both missed it. I just had so much fun training for this race. I had a babysitter come over in the mornings so I could bike or run. It has been the best summer!

Liberty Land turned into Trafalga here in Lehi. We took the kids to it to see if it was any better, it wasn't! But there were tables, so Piper climbed up. She's been making that face every time I try to take a picture of her.

Averi kept walking then slowly laying on the ground. It was probably cooler there.
Asher and Piper watching the boats.

Averi is so funny, this isn't a good picture, but she makes this face all day long! She squats down a little then stomps around.
I have had a hard time finding jeans that are long and skinny enough for the girls. So they are trying them on here.
Once Piper got her pants off it looks like she started pulling on her diaper.
I love this picture! Her little butt is hanging out, she's up on the counter, and writing on her hand. Every time she's on the counter that's the look I get. She's wondering how I'm going to react to her being up there.
My skinny little Averi.

Piper on the counter again! Making a face for the camera.
We went up to Idaho on Labor day weekend. Mike and Amy were there with their family. The girls loved Mike!
I just wouldn't know what to do if our kids didn't puke every time we left the house. Piper and Averi took shifts waiting in front of the dryer for their blankies. Piper would sit and face the dryer. The boys loved it so they went in to wait with them.
A cute picture of Averi with her Grandpa, but pretty fuzzy!
Cute Asher!
Grandma Edie, Matt and Piper.
Herb and Averi, I think they're both a little uncomfortable.
Piper wasn't feeling good while we were up there, and it was so cute, she just snuggled with Kenly for so long!
We were planning on just going to Bear Lake for the weekend but Asher went home with Kenny and JoyLynn the Wednesday before and stayed for a few days. He absolutely loved being up there. I guess he made new friends, and stayed busy the whole time they were up there.
Matt called him a day or two after he'd been there, and when Asher got on the phone he said, "Hi Dad, I'm fine. Bye." So it made it easy on me. I didn't worry about him at all! And he's been so good since he's been back.
So we got to Idaho Falls Saturday night, then went to Bear Lake on Sunday and stayed the night there. It ended up being a lot of driving, the girls did ok, they whined, cried and threw up a lot.
Monday was freezing, so there wasn't a lot to do. We went on this boardwalk thing out to the lake. And when Piper got there you'd think she'd never eaten dirt before! She just kept putting handful after handful in her mouth. It was pretty gross.
Even after Piper had gotten up from her nap later that day there was a ton of dirt in the crib from her pockets and the nipple on her bottle was covered in little tiny rocks.
Matt and Asher.
I don't think Averi let go of my hand for more than 2 seconds at a time the whole morning. I love it though, Asher never holds my hand, except for in this picture! The boardwalk.


Because this post is so over due I'm having a hard time remembering all the cute and funny stories of the things that happened over the summer.
Matt got a gun and wanted to shoot it, I wanted to go on a long bike ride, so I went on my bike ride and we went and shot guns together before we met up with my parents for dinner.
It was fun, one of the guns had a pretty hard kick and I was nervous to shoot a lot because I didn't want to hurt my shoulder and not be able to swim at my next race.
The girls are so happy in the mornings, Matt put their blankies in their pajamas and they thought they were so funny!
I love this one of Averi.
I accidentally just deleted a couple pictures and there is no forgiveness on here when you do that!
So after I skipped the Jordanelle race I signed up for Kokopelli in St. George. I thought it would be fun to rent a condo with a pool and stay there for a couple days while I did my race. So we picked out a cool room and invited Matt's parents. We decided to all drive down together and took a little longer getting out the door than we wanted to. I needed to be in Hurricane by 8:00 to get my packet. We left our house at 3:30 and just hurried! Every time Asher had to go to the bathroom we just tried talking him into a diaper. That didn't work.
Anyway, we got off of the exit right about 8:00 and started looking for the conference center where they were doing the packets. About a block away Matt got pulled over for speeding, then our insurance card was expired and they couldn't find our insurance in their computer.... I missed getting my packet.
I couldn't sleep all night because I was so worried about not having my packet and I didn't know the course at all. But I got up and felt fine and did the race. They gave me a packet and marked me and it was no big deal at all. And I am so glad I didn't know the course! I would've gotten less sleep! There was a steep hill on the bike and as soon as you climb that and come down you turn around and climb back up the other side. There were also a lot of hills on the run and I purposely avoid those when I train! But I did really well on the swim and did awesome on the bike, then ok on the run.
When I was done Matt was waiting for me and gave me a hug. I was so exhausted I thought I was going to cry. The only other time I've felt that way was when I finished the Stansbury tri. It was good though. I can't wait for Matt to do it with me next year. I'm not sure he even wants to. I don't think he really loves running, biking or swimming.
Right after the race, it was so nice to have my kids waiting for me. Matt and Asher were waiting at the top of the last hill right before the finish line and Asher snuck onto the course and I was trying to tell him to just give me 5 but he really wanted to hug me, it was sad, he totally didn't get why I wouldn't stop right then and hug him. He kind of tripped the girl I was running with. It was cute though. It was so good to see them at the end. Asher loved wearing my "trophy" that I got for finishing the race.
When we got back to our condo after the race we had my uncle and his family over for dinner. That was fun, but as soon as they left Piper was up just crying and throwing up! Then as soon as we'd get her down Averi would wake up throwing up. I don't get it, it's like they just know they aren't at home so they need to puke! Matt and I were so tired and hadn't gotten any sleep for a while so we had each taken a tylenol PM. I finally went to bed at 2 and Matt was up from 2-4 with Averi. I think that was the first time he had really been up at night with a baby and felt that horrible feeling that you get in the night when you're so tired, and you don't think you or that baby will ever sleep again.
I felt like Matt was a little traumatized the next morning but has since gotten over it. My trick for dealing with no sleep is that I never let myself think about the night before. I don't count the number of times I got up, I don't think about why they got up and I try not to tell people about it then it's like it didn't happen.
We did sleep in the next morning and that was nice! Matt's parents got up with the kids and we just slept. It was so nice. I NEVER sleep in much later than 6:30-7.
So we never got in the pool, or had much free time, but I had fun! Matt's parents said that next time they'll watch our kids at our house and we can go down alone. I'd be TOTALLY ok with that!
When we got home I realized I came home with 2 helmets, that's been nice for the girls because now they each have one, but I'm sure someone is sad! I have the girls number so I'll have to figure out whos it was.
The girls have a lot of pajamas, but for some reason these are the only ones I have pictures of them in. This happened last year too. Every picture of them in their pajamas were always the blue snowman ones!
Piper wore her helmet all morning. (that one is my helmet, so sporty, huh?)
I ran into Averi's NICU pediatrician at the post office the other day and was talking to him for a while. It just made me think about when the girls were born and how I felt. The pregnancy and first year were so hard! Just so much harder than I could've even imagined, and now I just look at the girls and I'm so grateful for them. They're so cute! They're cute together with each other and with Asher and I just love having them now. I've always loved them but it was so hard that I had a hard time enjoying them. When they play by each other, or in the tub it's so cool to watch them move around each other. They're just comfortable with each other and like to be close, well, Piper likes to be close to Averi and Averi is nervous that Piper is going to hurt her. They took off running across the street this morning and I know Averi wouldn't have done it on her own, but it was almost like she didn't have a choice. Piper was going and she just needed to stay right by her.
There are so many little things that have gotten easier. Getting in and out of the car has been so much better. Now Asher holds a baby's hand and I'll hold the other baby, so I'll get the first baby out and depending on where we are Asher will take their hand and either wait for me or walk the baby up to the sidewalk while I get the other one. And the girls can climb in the car themselves now, so I just have to buckle Averi because she'll climb right into her seat, then chase Piper all over the car and pull her out of the gum kicking and screaming and buckle her in. It's been so fun though. I hope we can think of some fun things to do with the kids this fall and winter.

I've been so tired while writing all this but just needed to get it done. I'll post more soon and it'll be a little more entertaining too.

1 comment:

Julie Kaye said...

I can not believe that you wrote all of that! I seriously get writers block after 2 sentences!! I loved it, and read it all! I deserve some kind of award, right? I am happy about your Triathlon--sorry about the throw up! I have witnessed how real that is in your world!! P.S. you really look fantastic!!